Sunday, July 23, 2006

The inspiration lives on

RONALD RAE IN HOLYROOD PARK, EDINBURGH

The monumental granite sculptures of Ronald Rae form the first exhibition of sculpture ever to be held in Holyrood Park. The 21 sculptures are shown in partnership with Historic Scotland in a variety of locations around the park, and within the gardens of Holyrood Palace. They represent more than 20 years of work by the acclaimed sculptor, made in Edinburgh but never displayed together in their home city. "I thought it would be good to bring my bairns home," says Rae. "I've always been rather fond of Arthur's Seat, a geological miracle in the middle of the city. This is a sharing, a giving back to the city that I love."

Rae's sculptures are carved by hand from vast lumps of stone quarried in the north-east, and include animals inspired by Celtic and Pictish art, as well as images drawn from the Christian faith. The newest of the works is the Lion of Scotland, opposite the Parliament building, 20 tons of Corrennie granite which needed a 100-ton crane to lift it into place.

"You can't fool around with granite, you've got to be so truthful to yourself," Rae says. "The stone is a little over 470 million years old, give or take 1,000 years. It is older than the crags. It's a very humbling experience to split crystals that haven't seen the light of day for 470 million years. The stone selects me, I don't select the stone. It's punishing work, but you have to die a little in these things, you have to give your soul. They are my prayers, my celebration of life, my thankyou for being born. I like it that people can climb on these things, engage with them."

• Holyrood Park, until May 2007, www.ronaldrae.co.uk or pick up a flyer from attractions near the park.

Scotsman.com Living - Outside the gallery walls

No comments: